• Foundation degree students (n=14)
• No recent education
• Had not received any formal training or advice on plagiarism
• All were able to provide a suitable definition of plagiarism
• Although the students spend part of their time at partner colleges all knew they were subject to DMU rules.
• 4 out 14 actively use cutting and pasting text from the internet to create a draft piece of work.
• Without knowing the tariffs for plagiarism, all suggested similar penalties to the actual ones for first and second offences